The team behind the biggest selling magic shows in the world will hold the world premiere of their brand new production, The Illusionists 1903 in the Concert Hall, Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) from 4 January 2015.
Featuring brand-new, world class Illusionists handpicked from across the globe, The Illusionists 1903 promises to transport the audience back to the golden age of magic, a time when conjurers were the true rock stars of the day. Showcasing the origins of some of the greatest and most dangerous illusions ever built, the show also unveils never-seen-before experiments drawn from a treasure trove of long-forgotten mysteries.
The true art of magic will be explored in exquisite, turn of the century grandeur in this larger than life production from the acclaimed creative team behind international mega hits The Illusionists and The Illusionists 2.0. Viewers will discover first-hand the spectacles that transformed stage entertainment over 100 years ago.
The Illusionists 1903 features a cast of world famous magicians playing incredible characters, with each embodying the magical greats of the past, including:
- The Immortal (Rick Thomas) – Rick Thomas is well known as one of the most successful illusionists working today, having completed five world tours covering over 50 countries. High honours include the coveted “Magician of the Year’ from the Academy of Magical Arts, and “Stage Magician of the Year” by the World Magic Awards. Thomas has performed for 15 years in his own show in Las Vegas and it has become the most successful family show in the history of Vegas.
- The Eccentric (Charlie Frye) – Acknowledging America’s rich vaudeville tradition, Charlie Frye astounds and entertains, transforming a classic art form into something undeniably fresh. For the last twenty odd years (some odder than others), Charlie has been delighting audiences worldwide with his singular blend of comedy, magic, juggling, slapstick and acrobatics. He has appeared before distinguished audiences including the Royal Family of Monaco and the Sultan of Malaysia, as well as opening for Liza Minnelli and appearing in the Tom Hanks film, That Thing You Do. The Eccentric never fails to keep audiences laughing and applauding all at once.
- The Daredevil (Jonathan Goodwin) – British born daredevil and escape artist Jonathan Goodwin is widely considered one of the most creative, skilled and crazy stunt performers in the world. Goodwin has been hanged, buried alive, hung by his toes from helicopters, burned at the stake and been attacked by sharks to name just a few of the insane stunts his mother wishes he hadn’t tried. Featured on multiple TV shows including The Jonathan Ross Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live and 60 Minutes, everything you see him do is very, very real – he really is The Daredevil.
- The Showman (Mark Kalin) – As a young man Mark’s speciality was sleight-of-hand magic, but he went on to enlarge his act, with Jinger Leigh, to include tigers, panthers and sensational, split-second marvels. They event presented the largest stage illusion of all time, vanishing an American Airlines Jumbo Jet at the Reno Hilton! He and Jinger have been featured on numerous TV shows including World’s Greatest Magic, Magic on the Edge and Entertainment Tonight.
- The Conjuress (Jinger Leigh) – A unique blend of elegance and theatricality have helped Jinger Leigh redefine the role of the magician. Transforming a very ancient art for a modern audience, Jinger has earned fans around the world and was recently featured in the touring show, Masters of Illusion Live. After beginning her career as a dancer and touring with artists like The Beach Boys and Tony Bennett, Jinger met magician Mark Kalin and the results were magical. Working together as Kalin and Jinger, they appeared in award winning shows and eventually in their own Reno theatre – Magic Underground.
- The Clairvoyants (Thommy Ten and Amèlie van Tass) – Innovative young celebrities in the world of mentalism, these European shooting stars have won international awards and presented their artful mind reading experience on numerous TV shows. Their ability to reveal your deepest thoughts will make you gasp in astonishment. Even fellow magicians are baffled! This enchanting couple are in high demand worldwide and have just returned from performing over 300 shows in America. Audiences will be entranced by how easily they connect with their innermost thoughts.
- The Maestro (Armando Lucero) – A commanding stage presence and master of magic, Armando Lucero will have your attention before saying a word. This veteran magician has been performing magic for the past 30 years, excelling in the art of close-up magic with his manipulation of cards and coins. Likened to such greats as Marcel Marceau, David Copperfield and Charlie Chaplin, Armando has performed extensively across the world and appeared at every major casino in Vegas. Armando Lucero really is The Maestro.
The Illusionists 1903 features jaw dropping, big tricks that include a deadly bullet catch, amazing levitation and unbelievable mind reading. Witness this all star cast as they try and one up each other performing some of the most dangerous tricks in the book.
Come with us on journey back in time and watch in awe as the impossible is recreated live on stage at QPAC these summer holidays in The Illusionists 1903. Tickets on sale Monday 27 October 2014 via www.qpac.com.au or call 136 246.
The Illusionists 1903
Dates: From 4 January 2015
Venue: Concert Hall, QPAC, Cultural Precinct, South Bank, Brisbane
Tickets: Please refer to www.qpac.com.au for current pricing
Bookings: Go to www.qpac.com.au or phone 136 246